ACCESS TO THE DUNE OF PILAT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED
ALL access to the Dune, its reception area, the ocean beaches and the road to Biscarrosse are strictly prohibited and closed until further notice, due to huge fires in the area.
The firefighters and the police are fully mobilized towards the fire and the securing of the site. They have no time to waste evacuating people on the dune or on the beach.
Beyond safety, there is a major challenge for the future and the relocation of our activity on the Dune du Pilat.
We ask you not to fly in this area until further notice. If paragliders were observed practicing this would have unprecedent consequences.
The fires continue to burn to this day, although they are no longer progressing, they are not stopped. It will take weeks, probably months to make this site avaible to the public again.
Thank you for your understanding.
Since October 2019, the FFVL has implemented the obligation for groups of pilots coming to Pyla Dune to register (Frenchs and foreigner groups).
Please find below the information about this new regulation : here.
Welcome to the wonderful paragliding site, the “Dune du Pyla”.
Here, you will learn what wagas mean, as well as soaring along the beautiful and marvelous sand coast, for long hours.
But don’t forget we need your help to maintain this site, accessible and enjoyable for all paragliders.
You will find below the few rules, to keep in mind when flying in this special place : “the sand dune is fragile, please respect it”
Thank you for visiting us, and we wish you a pleasant flight !
The paragliding club of Pyla Dune
From Bordeaux city, take the motorway to Arcachon. Then, in La Teste de Buch city, turn right to Biscarosse. When you arrive at Pyla Dune car park, several ways are allowed to access the site :
- From “Robinsons” beach (map)
- From “Petit Nice” car park – free (map)
- Take-off and landing areas :
- It is strictly forbidden to fly on “La Corniche” area from 1rst April to 15th November.
- It is strictly forbidden to fly South of swimming regulated area, on “Petit Nice” beach (near “Petit Nice” car park) from 15th June to 15th September
- Outside this period, it is allowed to flight in the north, up to 100 meters from “La Corniche” houses.
- Foreign and French Groups must register : there.
- Flight over Arguin sandbank is totally forbidden. This site is classified as Natural Reserve.
- It is strictly forbidden to step on Oyat plants. An important work has been done to plant them, in order to slowdown the inland move of the dune – please respect it.
- It is mandatory to wear a helmet.
- Don’t forget your speed bar ! The wind can grow up fastly, and trap you. Don’t hesitate to have a look at the sea and the sky, it will warn you about a possible wind strenghthening.
- It is strongly recommended to wear shoes : the sand hides some sharp objects, as broken glasses (and by the way please do not litter).
- The site is particularly crowded in summer period : please, respect the paragliding priorities, as well as security distances. Ensure your path is clear before making the turn.
The site is classified in a protected natural area: its balance is weak.
Please, respect fellow paragliders, and fellow dune users, as well as the natural wildlife (oyats, panels, barriers, …)
Pyla weather forecast